J.D., Stanford Law School, 2015
B.A, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2012, High Honors
Carly Bittman focuses her practice on criminal defense and complex civil litigation in both state and federal courts. She also represents individuals and businesses in regulatory and internal investigations. Carly has experience defending clients in connection with a wide variety of criminal investigations and charges, including wire fraud, money laundering, embezzlement, public corruption and bribery, theft of trade secrets, obstruction of justice, drug offenses, and internet crimes. Carly’s civil litigation experience includes defending clients accused of securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and unfair competition. She has been recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star every year since 2020.
Representative matters include:
- Declination of prosecution for client investigated by DOJ for theft of trade secrets.
- Counsel for banking executive in federal securities class action and parallel shareholder derivative action.
- Diversionary resolution for client indicted on bribery and money laundering charges.
- Counsel for large technology company and several executives in securities class action.
- Defeated motions seeking stay away orders against multiple clients and successfully defended the trial court’s orders on appeal.
- Diversionary resolution and dismissal of charges for client indicted for receipt of stolen property.
- Won orders denying restraining order against client and awarding client attorney’s fees in elder abuse proceedings.
- Represented two outside directors in securities fraud action brought by investors in private technology company.
Carly is a member of the Executive Committee of the New Lawyers Section of the California Lawyer’s Association, previously serving as the Criminal Law Section Liaison and currently serving as Treasurer. Before joining Swanson & McNamara in 2019, Carly served as a law clerk to the Hon. William Alsup of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Prior to her clerkship, she was a litigation associate at Fenwick & West LLP, where her practice focused on complex commercial litigation, securities litigation, and internal investigations.